Egypt's anti-government protests |
Egypt faced on Friday, 22 February 2013, a few anti-government protests
nationwide with the sit-in still continuing in Cairo in front of the
Presidential Palace.
The demonstration against the Muslim Brotherhood’s and Mohamed Morsy’s
rule has been planned by the country’s oppositional and revolutionary forces
before with several political parties, groups and organizations planning to
attend the rallies. Those parties and groups include Arab Revolution Youth
Movement, April 6th Youth Movement, Revolutionary Youth Coalition,
Constitution Party and especially it’s youth members, Free Front for Peaceful
Change and others.
The demonstrations started in Egypt’s capital Cairo after Friday noon
prayers and headed from several downtown districts to Cairo’s Tahrir Square and
Presidential Palace in Heliopolis, where the oppositional sit-in still
continues.
Hundreds of demonstrators protested against the so called “Brotherhoodisation”
of Egypt in front of the Presidential Palace claiming Muslim Brotherhood and
the President, who hails from its ranks, are trying to usurp the power in the
country controlling all the governmental bodies. They also accused Muslim
Brotherhood of the “crimes against Egyptians” referring to the deteriorating
economical, political and social situation in the country, insecurity and injustice
and oppression of the oppositional and revolutionary forces. It’s worth
mentioning that the military trials imposed on civilians haven’t been stopped
during the Morsy’s rule, and even since the beginning of the protests and
clashes commemorating the anniversary of Egypt’s January 25 Revolution hundreds
of people have been arrested and detained, with some of them also tortured and
allegedly killed.
Egyptians protesting against the current regime |
The Protesters thus demand that Mohamed Morsy and his political power to
be held accountable for all those crimes. Some of the demonstrators call for
Morsy to step down.
There have been also the protests in front of the building of Cairo’s
Hugh Court with the protesters demanding the dismissal of the current
Prosecutor General appointed by Morsy and the immediate release of all
political prisoners.
Some clashes took place during the protests as the people have been
throwing the stones, so the Central Security Forces have been responding to
them trying to disperse the crowd with the water.
The protests and civil disobedience action continue also in Egypt’s
Canal cities (Port Said, Suez, Ismailiya) where the state of emergency and
curfew has been imposed by the government. Canal cities protests against the
rule of the current government and against the long times neglecting of this
region and its problems.
Egypt’s Port Said has also faced bloody clashes at 26 January after the
trial verdict in the case of terrible football tragedy happened last year as
several local fans have been convicted and received death penalty verdict.
People in Port Said are demanding the dismissal of the Prosecutor General and
call also for appointing the new independent investigation’s team in the case
of Port Said football massacre.
Protests in Egypt |
Meanwhile Egypt’s coastal city of Alexandria faced relatively modest
protests as a lot of political parties and groups announced their withdrawal
from the demonstrations after some protesters have been chanting for the
military rule and called Egypt’s military to intervene in order to resolve the
current political crisis in the country.
Thus after Egypt’s President has announced the date of the upcoming
parliamentary elections and the Shura Council (Parliament’s Upper House)
declared the amendments will be imposed on the electoral law, the protests
still continue in the country, and the situation remains tense.
No comments:
Post a Comment